Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finally, a day to paint

Yesterday, I set aside time to paint. I completed this canvas, a study of a work by Santa Rosa artist Brooks Anderson entitled "Terra Lumina no.3." His work can be seen on the cover of the latest Art Trails catalogue. I've been to his studio in Santa Rosa; it's a lovely space and I love his landscapes. My version of his composition has brighter colors than his. I was excited to do this study because I have taken photos around the Russian River Valley in the fall that have these same colors and I have been wanting to paint them. Yesterday, rather than spend time digging through my photos to find one, I decided to just use his composition as a practice. It was blissful to be painting again!

1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful, Katharine! We would really like to commission something from you, I'm not sure what the subject would be - we should discuss. It's becoming something special for us to have art created by friends adorning our walls.

    To create more wall space, I have to figure out a skillful way to get rid of the large oil my mother recently "passed down" to us that now hangs above our couch - very nice, but just not our style. Some Indiana artist - A snowy, stark mid-western winter woods scene.

    I know you paint small canvases - perhaps a series? Well, think about it and we should talk soon. Don't tell Nancy, maybe a Christmas gift from me.

    ReplyDelete