Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cemetery Painting

This 5" x 7" study was painted very quickly because it was extremely hot that day and I was with my dog, who is old and can't tolerate the heat for much time. I painted it at the cemetery on Green Valley Road in Sebastopol. I love cemeteries for their peacefulness, and this one is especially lovely for its small size and beautiful view. Before I started my painting, I was sitting on a bench taking in the view. I noticed a handmade wooden box attached to a wooden post next to the bench. Inside the box, I found a small notebook and a pen. Inside the notebook was written, "Welcome, all! This notebook is lovingly dedicated to the memory of ______. Please feel free to leave a note." Family members of ______ had left notes, photos, and cards over a long period of time. Additionally, people who had never known the deceased gentleman but were visiting the cemetery (like me) had left their thoughts about a wide variety of topics. Interesting idea.
I still need to work on the foreground of this painting. I'm not happy with the grass, and the tree needs more branches... 

1 comment:

  1. Guau!! Me encanta!! Y ¿sabes lo que más me gusta? Cómo incide la luz por planos (más luminoso sobre las lápidas, en le primer plano y tb sobre el campo al lado del camino). Pues yo no veo que haya que retocarlo, fíjate, me parece más acabado que el primero, el del puente. Creo que es por lo logrado que está lo de la luz. Iremos, ¿verdad? Menudo sitio tranquilo y bonito, con la carretera alejándose hacua las montañas azules ... Lola

    ReplyDelete